- 42-unit, 4-storey, wood-frame apartment building
- 18 years in age at time of remediation (constructed circa 1994)
We were initially engaged to provide a 2nd opinion to the Strata, given that a previous engineering firm’s assessment recommended significant (total) and costly renewal strategies, at an initial budget of $2.5M to $3.0M.
We identified an alternative and more cost-effective approach that was still considered to provide a suitable level of durability and aesthetic appeal. The work recommended and completed included:
- Selective replacement of the stucco with new rainscreen assemblies at the high exposure walls;
- Cleaning, painting, and sealant replacement at all existing stucco clad walls;
- Complete renovation of the balconies;
- Comprehensive maintenance and restoration of all existing windows and sliding doors;
- Replacement of the existing flat roof systems;
- Replacement of the existing sloped shake roof system; and
- Other typical or localized repair and maintenance work
The final project cost was $1.2M, inclusive of all costs.