This multi-family, strata apartment is a three-level wood-framed building constructed over an above-grade parking garage and containing 39 residential units.
A building envelope condition assessment was completed in 2014 and the building envelope renovation of all assemblies was completed in 2016. BC Building Science was the Building Envelope Prime Consultant from assessment and schematic design through to post construction. An architectural design strategy was developed by Mr. Richard Stout, MAIBC from DYSA to improve the function, durability and appeal of the building exterior. The resulting transformation has been very positively received and represents a significant improvement to the building and community.
Services and work included:
- Producing and providing building specific drawing and specification package to execute the project;
- Obtaining a general contractor to execute the project through a competitive tendering process;
- Structural remediation under the direction of the structural engineer;
- Full building envelope renovation of all assemblies, including new full rainscreen wall assemblies, new PVC windows and doors, new balcony and deck framing and waterproof membranes, and new 2-ply SBS patio waterproofing and landscaping;
- Technical review of architectural drawings, shop drawings, and product literature;
- On-site field review of all construction aspects;
- Building envelope commissioning including water testing of windows and doors, coating and waterproofing adhesion and thickness testing, and flood testing;
- Deficiency reviews at project completion; and
- Creation of a detailed building envelope maintenance manual.