In addition to building envelope design, the BCBS engineering team is also able to provide specific and separate structural engineering design and review services for both new construction builds and renovation projects. These services may involve full structural drafting, structural design, and structural review so suit the needs of our Clients.
In addition, BCBS provides specialty structural engineering for all aspects of building envelope design. Some examples include:
- Engineered shop drawings (claddings, guardrails, scaffolding) for suppliers and manufacturers;
- Structural attachment of specific building envelope assemblies or systems;
- Structural assessments of existing buildings (including parkades);
- Roof wind uplift calculations; and
- Assessment and re-design of structural systems damaged by moisture.
As attention to building envelope systems and assemblies has increased, these assemblies have had to become more robust. Examples include the now common use of exterior insulated assemblies, which move the cladding systems further out from the primary building structure. Consequently, special attention to the structural attachment of cladding materials is critical. As a result, BCBS provides structural engineering services for structural attachment of architectural cladding materials. This allows us to better integrate the design of the air, vapour, moisture, and energy aspects of the wall system together with the structural aspects.
For examples of buildings we have contributed these services to, see Portfolio.