BC Building Science was retained by the Owners of Harbour Shores as the Building Envelope Consultant for a full building envelope renovation at their building. Harbour Shores is a 4-storey wood-framed residential building constructed over a below-grade parking garage and contains 40 residential units, located at 2336 Wall Street, Vancouver.
Finished in 2018, this renovation project by Heatherbrae Builders represents a significant transformation of this property, incorporating substantial Architectural updates as designed by b2 Architecture (Brian Billingsley).
BC Building Science has been working with this client since early 2012, starting with some initial assessment work and second opinions that provided the Owners with a long-term strategy and has optimized the level of appeal and value of this renovation.
The work included:
- replacing all original stucco and siding with new rainscreen cladding elements – a mix of stucco and varying finishes of architectural sheet metal cladding;
- updating all windows and doors with new, energy-efficient, vinyl-frame window and door units;
- renovating all balconies, including new waterproofing, architectural guardrails, wood soffits, and a new, internal drainage system to improve durability and reduce maintenance;
- renovating ground level patios, including new waterproofing, concrete paving stones, and new planter assemblies as designed by Jonathan Losee Landscape Architect; and
- updating the front entrance façade, including an entirely new entrance canopy, entry walkway, intercom system, and entrance door.
Though a challenge for all parties involved, the project was completed below the original funding budget. This renovation represents a major update to this building and will provide a notably reduced level of maintenance combined with considerably improved durability and improved value and appeal.