With increasing energy performance requirements and expectations, increasing demand on the building envelope systems is inevitable. We work closely with the design team to help meet these requirements. Various regulations regarding which BCBS has particular expertise are:
- ASHRAE 90.1 – Energy Standard for Buildings
- National Energy Code for Buildings 2011
- Passive House Certification
- Thermal Bridging Guidelines
We are able to manage these energy use evaluation approaches and to select the appropriate systems and design strategies for each project. By fully understanding and applying regulations before design strategies are set, we can often help our Client achieve cost and time savings by optimizing on the design and process.
Depending on the scope of work, BCBS is able to communicate and analyze the thermal performance of all buildings with the following expertise:
- Prescriptive application of energy standards;
- Building envelope trade off modelling;
- Full building modelling (e.g. ECB);
- Performance Rating Method modelling (for LEED);
- Thermal modelling of particular details or assemblies;
- Passive House Modelling; and
- Preliminary Passive House Assessments.
With intelligent design and modelling, there are many simple solutions to meeting the energy requirements without compromising on other design aspects, most notably, proper rain water management.